Nobody wants to find a flea or tick on their pet, but these tiny critters are unfortunately among the most common pet parasites around, especially in this season. Fleas thrive in warm, humid conditions while ticks are commonly found in wooded areas. If not destroyed, fleas can lead to allergy dermatitis while ticks can cause Lyme disease (which can cause lameness). Since it’s spring now, and the Oakland area has many wooded areas, it’s important to make sure that your pet is protected from fleas and ticks to prevent these diseases.
Thornhill Pet Hospital recommends Bravecto for dogs, the FDA-approved chewable tablet that provides protection from fleas and ticks. For a limited time, when you buy two doses of Bravecto from our hospital, you can get $15 off. Purchase four doses, get $35 off! In addition to a preventive medication, there are several other ways that you can protect your pet from fleas and ticks. Consider the tips below:
How to Prevent Fleas
- Clean your home regularly to prevent flea infestations.
- Always dispose of your vacuum bag, since it can house recently vacuumed fleas.
- Keep your grass and shrubs trimmed.
- If you have a gate or fence, keep it locked to prevent feral pets or wildlife from coming to your yard.
How to Prevent Ticks (Lyme disease)
- When walking with your dog through the woods, stay on the center of the trails, farthest from the trees.
- Always check your pet’s coat for ticks after he/she comes inside, if you know he/she may have come in contact with heavy brush areas.
- Learn the proper method to remove a tick (contact us if you have questions).
If you’d like to purchase a flea and tick preventive for your pet or schedule an exam, give us a call at 510-339-2041, and don’t forget about our money-saving Bravecto offer for dogs!